Home sweet home. After 5 hours on the road we were ready for something to eat. I threw a load of chopped veggies and beef mince together, turned it into a curry, added some slices of bocconcini on top and into the oven until the cheese melted. So delicious, quick and the perfect comfort food after a long day.
Apple and Carrot Muffins. Hot dayum! These are good!
Adapted from Pete Evans’ paleo recipe and so darn delish. Made a few little tweaks and added our own flair to them and they are one of the best “hidden veg” muffins we’ve made! .
Patrick made these. I guided but I can safely say he made them. Sometimes when we cook together I have nothing prepared and he measures it all and gets things from the pantry. But it ALWAYS works better when I have measured it all and have it out and ready to go. He still learns measurements and other maths but I find that at 4 my patrick does not like things to take too long. He doesn’t like the measuring. He wants to just mix (and lick the spoon). I might elaborate on cooking with kids on a later post 👍🏼 but yes - patrick did all this except for the measuring and handling of the oven
Here’s the recipe, Pete Evans uses honey but I used maple syrup (Elsie still can’t have honey yet), I died gluten free flour when Pete says just straight tapioca flour...and I’ve topped it differently too
• 1 Apple cored and grated (and half an apple to add thin slice to the top)
• 2 small carrots grated
• 2 1/3 cup almond meal
• 1/2 cup gluten free plain flour
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp maca powder
• 1/4 cup salt
• 1/3 cup maple syrup
• 1/4 cup coconut oil
• 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
• 1/2 tsp nutmeg (we used 3 drops of essential oil)
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon .
• 3 eggs
• 1/2 cup nut milk .
• 1tbs each of coconut and coconut sugar mixed together to sprinkle on top
• preheat oven to 180celcius and line 8 holes of a muffin tin
• combine almond meal, flour, maca, baking powder, salt
• beat maple and oil in electric mixer for 4 mins. Add vanilla, spices and eggs and beat for another 2 mins
• add dry ingredients and mix till combined
• slowly add milk while combining
• fold through grated apple and carrot
• divide into muffin liners and place a slice of apple on top
• bake for 25-30 mins
• when cooked through, sprinkle the coconut and coconut sugar on each muffin
Using these to cross off Apple on our #autumnbingo with @2little_lims and @lifeonwallace 👌🏼🍎